First Contact Emails
We understand that being the one to make first contact can be nerve-racking, so here are some suggestions to help!
Firstly, please read our guide for getting in touch with creators, which includes points that creators and winners should discuss when they get in touch.
If you read it and are still unsure of how to start the conversation, we have two “first contact” email examples for creators and winners below. Feel free to change things; you don’t have to include anything that doesn’t apply to you.
Be aware that you might have to compromise a bit on both sides as you go along, but this is why you should establish your preferences at the beginning. Don’t hesitate to state hard limits or describe your ideal situation.
We’d like to encourage everyone to take the plunge and get in touch with their auction winner/creator, even if it’s just to let the other person know that you’re not able to talk until a certain date!
Remember that your match might also be anxious about taking that first step, so it could be a case of mutual “I’ll wait till they contact me” syndrome that’s keeping you from making contact with each other. We guarantee that they’re looking forward to hearing from you!
This is YOURNAME; I won your MTH auction, AUCTION ID, for XSERVICE. I’m really looking forward to working with you!
[A bit about yourself here. For example: I’ve been in the Marvel fandom for XYEARS, ever since I watched XMOVIE/read XCOMIC. I really love XSHIP/XGEN.].
[Something specific about the auction you won]
I had a look at your works, and I really love the way you do XTHING/Your “will create works that contain” section drew me in since I love XTHING as well!
I don’t really have something specific yet, but I was wondering how you’d feel about doing a work that includes XTHING/I have a pretty good idea of what I’d like to ask you to create, but I wanted to double check that you didn’t forget to add any DNWs to your creator post. I’m thinking XDESCRIPTION(S) THAT FITS THE AUCTION LIMITS or XPROMPT(S) THAT ONLY INCLUDES THE CREATOR’S WANTS AND NONE OF THEIR DNWs.
Let me know if you prefer to work with general prompts or if you’d like a specific scenario or prompt from me!
If you’re open to it, I’d love to do a collaboration where we bounce ideas off each other so I’m involved in the process of creating the work./I’d prefer to send you some prompts and then get surprised with the finished product if that’s okay.]
Let me know if you have any questions at all. I can’t wait to hear back from you!
I’m getting in touch with you about the MTH auction you won—thanks so much for participating in MTH and bidding on me!
[A bit about yourself here. For example: I’ve been in the Marvel fandom for XYEARS, ever since I watched XMOVIE/read XCOMIC. I really love XSHIP/XSCENE/XGEN, and that’s how I really got into creating for fandom. If you haven’t yet, you can check out my works here: XLINK(S).]
I offered XDESCRIPTION OF AUCTION OFFERED (you can lift this from your work description in your Tumblr creator post or adapt it if you like).
I just wanted to let you know that I’ll be really busy/AFK because of XREASON until XDATE. I’ll be checking my emails semi-regularly, but don’t worry if you don’t get a reply during that time.
I work best when … XDESCRIPTION OF PREFERRED WORKING PROCESS
- … I have 2 or 3 specific art/fic/digital work prompts to choose from, so I know what you’d really like but am not overwhelmed by options.
- … if I get some general tropes and things you enjoy reading about/seeing, so I can work with a bit of freedom.
- … I have a combination of general and specific prompts, so I can mix and match depending on where the art/fic/digital work takes me.
- … if you let me know what your top 3 choices for the fic you’d like me to translate/podfic, so that I can pick something you’d like but have a few options, especially since the original author may not want to have their work transformed.
- … if you send me a finished fic/WiP to beta read.
- … if we have regular back-and-forth, so I can make sure you’re liking my work so far. I like to send WiPs and get comments about whether you’re liking things or not as I go.
- … if you leave me to work and be the one to get in touch about progress instead of showing you the WiP, so I don’t stress too much. I’ll send you the finished work, and then I can change things once I get your feedback on it.]
Let me know if you have any questions!
Looking forward to hearing from you,